Saturday 16 July 2016

Mission 3 - Taste with a twist - Tandoori Momos, Mash Dal, Naan & Sweets

Hello friends, This week its time to experience the taste with a twist. I was able to visit quite a few places back to back as I couldn't resist the temptation. After spending last few weeks hunting down good food in Meena Bazaar I decided to visit Al Karama - another area full of expatriates to look for food with some unusual twists to the style.

1. Real Momos Cafeteria - Located near the ADCB Metro station, its a small cafeteria with a seating capacity of barely 8-10 people. However, the small space is very well maintained, clean and hygienic. The owner is very welcoming. Momos are a type of dumpling very popular in India and Nepal. I have earlier had steamed or fried momos. This place caught my attention as they claimed to serve a "Tandoori Momo" - Not steamed or fried but cooked in a tandoor. I ordered a plate of veg tandoori momos. This portions were large - it had 6 momos with a mint chutney and tomato sauce. The momos very really special - it had a perfect balance of crisp and soft without oil. I just loved it!. It costed me 13 dirhams for my plate. The Tandoori Momos are a fantastic twist to this dish and a definite recommendation. Do try Tandoori Paneer Momos as well. Looks promising.
https://www.zomato.com/dubai/real-momos-cafeteria-al-karama/info

Tandoor Veg Momos

 
2. Student Biryani - A yet another restaurant in Al Karama - set up is 1969 as a modest eatery. Today this is popular restaurant with branches across the world and as the name says famous for its Biryani. Even though I didn't expect much from this restaurant being a vegetarian I thought to give it a shot.
 
The place is awesome - very good ambience, large seating capacity and a smiling staff.
 
A look at the menu and I had only one option to go for - "A Veggie Biryani". At first glance I was shocked as the quantity was huge - fit for two people easily. I took half and asked to pack the remaining for me. The Biryani was really tasty - full of different aromas and colors. With soft masala potatoes and whole spices - It was a treat!.
 

Veggie Biryani

 
As soon as I was about to finish I saw a big Naan being served on the adjacent table. It was just irresistible. I looked at the menu again and couldn't stop myself from ordering that Naan along with a Mash Dal Fry ( A vegetarian Daal but I had no clue about its taste ). Thanks to google - Mash Daal is almost a dry daal made from White Daal/Urad Daal. It was served promptly - The daal was just out of this world. A perfect taste - one like I had never before. It was different from the usual Daal Tadka or Makhani. Though it was really spicy - It must have had atleast 6 whole green chillies. You can ask them for less spicy when you order. The portion was also large perfect for 2 people ideally. Along came the Naan, A big one - Atleast double of a typical India Naan, It was so fluffy and yet crisp. It had a unique burnt roasted taste. The perfect combo of Mash Daal and Naan was a taste that I will remember for quite some time. The Naan was just 2 Dhs, Daal - 13 Dhs and Biryani - 14 Dhs - with such an awesome taste, I will say this place is a must visit.
 

Daal Mash Fry

 

Naan

 
 
 3. Lulu's Hypermarket, Al Karama - After having so much, I walked back to the metro station but saw the Lulu's Hypermarket on the way. Lulu is a retail chain and I had visited its outlet once when I was in Chennai. Out of curiosity to find something authentic South Indian, I changed my direction and went inside. The food section has lots of nice stuff. I finally made up my mind for sweets. They had a very nice collection of fresh sweets. I picked up Mysore Pak and Gulab Jamun for 12 Dhs. Upon tasting the sweets, I felt it was the best decision of the day. After such a tasty meal sweets are icing on the cake. If you walk around that area there is no harm to pickup some sweets as they really have a nice and tasty collection and at a very reasonable price.
 
 

Mysore Pak & Gulab Jamun

 
 I had a great a food tour. Looking forward to many more - This is just the beginning.
 
 
Please post your comments and suggestions.
 

Keep following the blog for more from the "Veggie Wanderer".

 

1 comment: